Homai Special Formats Library
The Homai Special Formats Library is a national library service for children and young adult readers. It is based at BLENNZ Homai Campus School and is administered by the Royal New Zealand Foundation of the Blind (RNZFB).
The Library's collections include:
- Collage books: sturdy, hard-covered picture books with large print and braille text and bright, bold collage illustrations.
- Braille books: fiction, non-fiction and textbooks.
- Twin vision picture books: with clear plastic braille over the original print or with clear plastic braille pages inserted between the original print pages. Some are also available with an accompanying CD.
- Large print books in 18 and 24 point font: mostly fiction for ages 9 to 16. We also have a growing non-fiction and textbook collection.
- Kitsets with enclosed print book with accompanying CD and braille text.
- Electronic files (Etext) available in Word, HTML and Plain text.
- Playaway pre-recorded MP3 players.
- DAISY books (only available to members of the RNZFB).
Titles in these collections can be searched for on the RNZFB library catalogue by choosing Homai Special Formats Library from the drop down menu under 'Filter by'.
You can also visit the newly launched BLENNZ Learning Library - an online collection of stories as a resource for parents and families. Each story is focused on one of the 5 Key Competencies in the New Zealand Curriculum. The aim of each story is to illuminate one aspect of a learning progression for a student, and the rationale behind the associated actions of the teacher and the education team.
The RNZFB has now partnered with Bookshare to make more than 40,000 electronic books available to our members to download. Bookshare is an American online accessible digital library for print disabled readers.